3M 850 Purchase Order Transaction Guidelines
3M 850 Purchase Order blog comments provide recommendations for use when creating EDI purchase orders (ASC X12 transaction set 850) for 3M. The ASC X12 version of the 3M 850 Purchase Order is 004010. If you cannot generate purchase orders in 004010, please consult your 3M EDI contact for information on the other ASC X12 versions accepted by 3M.
- Send only the data that is required to process the purchase order. Not all segments or data elements defined in this guideline need to be sent. For example, do not send terms or freight carrier information if this is standard information that is mutually understood and applies to all orders. However, if there are special terms or carrier information which must be communicated, send this data in the appropriate segment (i.e., ITD and TD5 respectively).
- Whenever possible, do not send miscellaneous text data. Such data is usually not machine processable and diminishes the advantage and efficiency of EDI.
- 3M recommends the use of the Uniform Product Code (UPC) for product identification. In addition, you may send in a part or catalog number. Item description is not needed unless a UPC or part number that uniquely defines the product is not available.
- Use location numbers for ship-to and charge-to addresses. This allows for the efficient lookup of address information.
3M 850 Purchase Order Types
- A simple, stand-alone purchase order. The bill-to and ship-to accounts can be identified by a DUNS number; all items are identified by a UPC number and a buyer part number. The requested delivery date applies to all items on the order and therefore appears at the header level.
- A stand-alone purchase order with multiple requested delivery dates. This purchase order has multiple requested delivery dates per line item.
- A stand-alone purchase order that provides end customer information at the line item level. This purchase order that provides end customer (“markfor”) information at the line item level. The requested delivery date applies to all items on the order. Terms which apply just to this order are also included. Items 1 and 2 are identified by a standard UPC and part number. Item 3 is a special-cut item and is identified only by buyer part number and description.