3M EDI Customer Ship Notice Requirements
3M EDI Customer Ship Notice (856 Ship Notice/Manifest transaction set) allows 3M to send shipment notification to vendor company electronically via EDI. 3M EDI Customer Ship Notice transaction set uses hierarchical levels or “HL loops”. At present, 3M sends either the Shipment/Order/Item or the Shipment/Order/Tare/Item structure. The Shipment/Order/Tare/Item structure is only used if 3M is also providing the SSCC-18 serial number and bar coded label. Find some HL Hierarchical Level guidelines below.
HL Hierarchical Level – SHIPMENT LEVEL
- The HL segment is used to identify levels of detail information using a hierarchical structure, such as relating line-item data to shipment data, and packaging data to line-item data. The HL segment defines a top-down/left-right ordered structure.
- HL01 shall contain a unique alphanumeric number for each occurrence of the HL segment in the transaction set. For example, HL01 could be used to indicate the number of occurrences of the HL segment, in which case the value of HL01 would be “1” for the initial HL segment and would be incremented by one in each subsequent HL segment within the transaction.
- HL02 identifies the hierarchical ID number of the HL segment to which the current HL segment is subordinate.
- HL03 indicates the context of the series of segments following the current HL segment up to the next occurrence of an HL segment in the transaction. For example, HL03 is used to indicate that subsequent segments in the HL loop form a logical grouping of data referring to shipment, order, or item-level information.
- HL04 indicates whether or not there are subordinate (or child) HL segments related to the current HL segment.
- Level: Shipment The HL segments define the looping and hierarchical structure of transaction set 856.
- The HL segment at the shipment level will only occur once and will be the first HL segment in the transaction set.
- 3M Example(s): HL*1**S^
- Hierarchical ID Number: unique number assigned by the sender to identify a particular data segment in a hierarchical structure
- Hierarchical Level Code: Code defining the characteristic of a level in a hierarchical structure.