Electronic Data Interchange For Tax Payers (Sending Tax Information To Texas Comptroller)
Electronic Data Interchange for tax payers can save time and money by using the electronic exchange of routine business data to transmit quarterly and monthly tax information for certain taxes. Electronic Data Interchange for tax payers is designed for businesses reporting a large number of outlets, leases, schedules or authorities. Tax filers who are required to use TEXNET to electronically transmit their money are also required to electronically transmit their tax data.
The Comptroller’s office provides free software that creates files in an approved format. (Windows® 7 or greater is required.). You can also purchase EDI software from third-party vendors. Note that files created by EDI software can only be used with EDI. They cannot be used in lieu of the preprinted tax forms.
Sign up for EDI
EDI users must complete the EDI registration and enrollment process and successfully submit a test before submitting your first report. You will need:
- Your 11-digit taxpayer number
- A Webfile number
- A properly formatted EDI file (this file can be produced using the Comptroller’s free EDI software)
- For natural gas and crude oil, you may be required to submit definite forms.
Confirmation of Received EDI File
EDI filers transmitting returns to the Comptroller’s office receive a confirmation number once the transmission is complete. This is not confirmation that the return has been accepted – only that the EDI file was received. The automated approval process is available from 4:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (CT), Monday through Friday. During this time, EDI files will be reviewed and confirmation emails will be sent within an hour of submission. EDI files received outside of these hours will be reviewed during the next approval process window.
- Files with a “Passed” status have been accepted.
- Files with a “Failed” status must be resubmitted. Please correct errors noted in the email attachment.
Due Dates and Payments
Electronic filers must comply with established report due dates. Payment may be included with EDI returns. Use Webfile for payment-only options – EDI does not support payment only.
- EDI returns with payment need to submitted with “Passed” status before 2:30 p.m. (CT) on the last banking day before the due date to be considered timely.
- EDI returns without payment must be transmitted with “Passed” status by 11:59 p.m. (CT) on the due date to be considered timely.
To learn more about EDI and become a certified EDI Professional please visit our course schedule page.