GS1 EDI Barcoding Guidelines
- Every barcode number starts with a GS1 Company Prefix. Make sure your products are correctly identified as yours.
- Sign up online and you’ll be able to start assigning your barcode numbers (GTINs) in minutes.
- Use in stores and on all major marketplaces. Your GS1 barcode numbers will be valid for all major marketplaces.
- Working for your benefit. GS1 is a neutral, not-for-profit information standards organization working to improve business processes.
- Sell internationally. GS1 barcodes work everywhere — in every supply chain in every country.
- Estimate How Many Barcodes You Need. The most important thing to understand is that each variation of each product you sell requires a unique barcode. You’ll need to determine exactly how many barcodes you need before you fill out the application.
- Pricing. When you get barcodes from GS1 US®, GS1 will first issue you a unique company identification number, called a GS1 Company Prefix. It’s part of every barcode you create and is the key to uniquely linking your company to your products in the marketplace. A GS1 Company Prefix comes in five different “capacities” that allow you to barcode as few as 10 unique products and as many as 100,000 unique products. Your initial fee covers your prefix and barcodes for one year, after that you’ll need to renew your membership every year in order to continue using your barcodes.
- Fill Out the Application. Once you submit your application, you’ll get a welcome email from GS1 US within minutes. It includes all the important information you need to get started, including your prefix certificate and access to myGS1 US—your online member center. As a part of your membership, you’ll gain access to GS1 US Data Hub | Product, the tool you can use to create your own barcodes and manage your product data.
As long as you renew your membership every year, your barcodes will remain linked to your company information and you will maintain access to GS1 US Data Hub® where you can control your product data.
To learn more about EDI barcoding and become a certified EDI Professional please visit our course schedule page.