Frequently Asked Questions of the GSIN
GS1 US makes that process possible by enabling companies to uniquely and globally identify, capture, and share information about products, locations, and more using GS1 Standards. Learn more about GSIN usage.
- Does my company need another GS1 Company Prefix to use GSINs? No. The GS1 Company Prefix that you already have been assigned is used in the GSIN.
- What are some examples of when I should apply a GSIN? A shipment could be a cargo container of logistical item groupings (one or multiple SSCCs).
- Should the GTIN® be included in the GSIN? No. The GTIN uniquely identifies trade items (products and services). GTIN information is included in the Advance Ship Notice (ASN) that is sent to the receiver of the product prior to shipment. The GSIN provides the logical grouping of one or several logistic units each identified with a separate SSCC.
- How is a GSIN different than a SSCC? GSINs are distinctly different from SSCCs. The GSIN provides identification of the logical grouping of one or several logistic units, where each of those logistic units could be identified by a different SSCC.
- Can the GSIN be used at the point of sale? No. The GSIN is only used in the transportation, distribution or warehouse environment and is not a GTIN.
- Do I need to purchase special equipment to scan a GSIN? The equipment you choose should have software that is compatible with the type of scanner you have selected and should be able to read the GS1-128 barcode symbol.
- Can a GSIN be re-used immediately after the shipment has been received by the buyer? No. An individual Global Shipment Identification Number (GSIN) is a unique number, which remains the same for the life of the grouping of logistics or transport units to which it is assigned. When assigning a GSIN, the rule is that an individual GSIN number must not be reallocated within ten years of the shipment date from the seller or sender of the GSIN to a trading partner buyer or recipient to comply with the regulations of the World Customs Organization (WCO). For goods that circulate within one country (domestic transport), the period of re-use is based on either governmental, industry or the discretion of the seller (sender) of the goods.
To learn more about GS1 EDI tandards and become a certified EDI Professional please visit our course schedule page.