Indigo EDI UPC Code And GS1-128 Label Vendor Requirements
Indigo EDI UPC Code or EAN (International Article Number; formerly European Article Number) is provided on all products shipped to Indigo Distribution Centres (“DCs”) or Stores. Vendors are responsible for ensuring that UPC Code is unique scannable and correct.
UPCs and EANs must meet the specifications defined by the Electronic Commerce Council of Canada. If possible, UPC numbers should never be reassigned; however, in the event one must be reassigned, Indigo requires that the number not be in use for a minimum of 36 months prior to reuse or reassignment to allow the UPC to pass through the retail product cycle.
GS1-128 label format is available through third-party EDI services. A GS1-128 Barcode label must be applied to each carton and/or pallet shipped (based on shipping method); linking the individual carton/pallet to the associated ASN Item/Qty detail. Failure to meet Indigo’s GS1-128 Label guideline requirements will cause your shipment to be quarantined within Indigo’s Distribution Centres. A cost recovery charge will also be applied to any violation of this guideline.
Packing Slip Accuracy
Indigo expects all vendor shipments to be accompanied by an accurate Packing Slipwhose details exactly match what has been routed for shipment. The Packing Slip must contain, at a minimum:
- Purchase Order No.(s)
- Date of Shipment
- Ship-to Location/Address (Destination)
- List of UPCs
- List of Product Descriptions/Titles
- Total units shipped by Description/Title and total quantity back-ordered
- List of correct lot numbers (if applicable)
- For international shipments: Number of cartons per SKU/per PO at thecontainer level when shipping multiple containers under one MBL
- The Packing Slip should be easily identified on the outside of the shipment.
- A Packing Slip is considered to be inaccurate and non-compliant if it does not meetany of the above requirements.
To learn more about EDI and become a certified EDI Professional please visit our course schedule page.