HIPAA 837 Institutional Transaction Guides (OCHCA)
The ASC X12N 837 Institutional transaction is the electronic equivalent of the UB-92 paper claim form. All hospitals and institutional facilities must use the 837 Institutional transaction to bill electronically for services covered under the SoonerCare program.
- The 837 Institutional transaction must be used for inpatient claims.
- Providers must use their 10-digit NPI number as the billing/pay-to provider ID.
- Limit each transaction set to 5,000 claims.
- Limit each claim to a maximum of 50 service lines.
- For attending, operating and other physicians, please use only the physician’s 10-digit NPI number as the primary identifier in the appropriate NM1 segment.
- The physician’s taxonomy code is not used for operating physicians or physicians classified as “other.”
- Do not use revenue code 001 as a total for all service lines included on the claim.
- Unit rate is required if revenue code is 100-219 (SV02-06).
To learn more about HIPAA EDI and become a certified EDI Professional, please visit our course schedule page.