Invoice VDA 4906 Basic Requirements
Invoice VDA 4906 usage via EDI has had consistently good results – this is regarded to as a logical enhancement to conventional invoicing methods. The main objectives of the communication of Invoice VDA 4906 data by EDI are as follows:
- Rapid communication of invoicing data from the supplier to the recipient of the goods or services
- Elimination of the multiple-copy sets of invoice forms according to DIN 4991
- Avoiding the re-entry of data by the recipient, with the attendant data entry errors and payment delays
- Computerised processing of regularly recurring bulk invoice data via standardised interfaces
- Automatic provision of invoice data for suppliers’ Finance departments, and the recipient’s invoice checking, creditor processing and book-keeping desks, for example.
Recipient plant for an Invoice VDA 4906 EDI
In some cases invoicing processing operations are carried out at a single location for several different plants. Invoices for definite plants must be combined in the same data packet. The invoices differ in terms of the information in record type 812, pos. 10, customer plant. Invoices for the EVO bus plant in Mannheim are to be sent separately.
Scope of an EDI communication
To make the invoice EDI process as economically efficient as possible, an invoice should be drawn up for each delivery note. The total invoice amount should then be combined in billing plant-specific data packets, and forwarded to the plants once a week.
Billing with summary invoices
According to Art. 14 UStG (German Value Added Tax Act), the invoice recipient is required to archive a summary invoice (totals sheet) for each data packet posted. The data sender is required to compile a summary invoice for each data packet sent, as per VDA recommendation 4906, Appendix 11. This summary invoice is to be forwarded to the contact person at each plant by a clearly legible fax, immediately after dispatch of the data packet.