SEF: An open-standard file format
SEF (The Standard Exchange Format) is an open-standard file format files ending with the extension .sef that defines the format and implementation guideline for proprietary and standard EDI documents.
The Standard Exchange Format is an open-standard, computer readable, text format that contains the implementation guideline of an EDI document. The purpose of a SEF file is to convey an EDI implementation guideline in a standard, computer-parsable format so that it can be read directly by EDI applications.
The advantages of The Standard Exchange Format over other file formats (e.g. pdf, doc, rft, html, and paper) are:
- SEF files are immediately useable by both users and computers.
- SEF files are small electronic files that can be transmitted easily over the Internet.
- SEF files are editable with a text editor
- SEF is an open standard, which allows you to create and distribute your own SEF files without any permission or having to pay any royalty fees.
The Standard Exchange Format holds key advantages over other file formats (e.g. pdf, .docx, rft, html and paper), including:
- SEF files are immediately useable by both users and computers
- They’re small files and are easily transmitted easily via the web
- You can edit them with either a text editor or an SEF manager
- SEF is an open standard, so you can create and distribute SEF files without special permissions or royalties
The Standard Exchange FormatF is used broadly by many industries for their proprietary EDI messaging needs as well as in logistics and supply chains more generally. The Standard Exchange Format can be used for any type of EDI transaction, as it is used to create proprietary, custom EDI messages by enterprises and industries. It also supports many X12 and UN/EDIFACT standard messages, such as logistics, shipping and financial messages, including purchase orders, invoices and more.
The Standard Exchange Format was developed by Foresight Corporation, now owned by tech giant Tibco, to encode any EDI specification and put it into the public domain. Foresight, under Tibco leadership, governs SEF.